Yesterday I posted a recipe for a delicious low sugar cheesecake I just love. Today is a recipe that is NOT low sugar or healthy in the least. But life is about moderation, and sometimes you just need to have the sugar laden chocolatey fudginess of an amazing brownie. This is that day!!
I have a sweet tooth. I LOVE chocolate! And chocolate brownies are SOUL food for me! Seriously, I am not joking. If I have had a bad day or dealing with PMPS (Perimenopausal syndrome-my own word…lol), a fudgy delicious brownie can transform me from a maniacal person to a calm, happy smiling person. Nuff said. With that in mind, I have always searched for the fudgiest, yummiest brownie recipe, and I think I have found it!!!!
KING ARTHUR FLOUR FUDGE BROWNIES
• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
• 2 cups light brown sugar
• 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional but recommended ( I did not use)
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 4 large eggs
• 1 1/2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
• 2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan
2) In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat briefly, just until it’s hot (about 110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling; it’ll become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
3) While the sugar heats a second time, crack the 4 eggs into a bowl, and beat them with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla till smooth.
4) Add the hot butter/sugar mixture, stirring until smooth.
5) Add the flour and chips, again stirring until smooth. Note: If you want the chips to remain intact in the baked brownies, rather than melting in, let the batter cool in the bowl for about 20 minutes before stirring in the chips.
6) Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9″ x 13″ pan.
7) Bake the brownies for about 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it. The brownies should feel set on the edges, and the center should look very moist, but not uncooked. Remove them from the oven and cool on a rack before cutting and serving. ( I will reduce time to 25 minutes the next time I make these)
Melt the butter in the microwave until melted
Mix with sugar in a pan over low heat until it is hot but not bubbling.
Mix eggs, cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla in a bowl.
Add the hot butter/sugar mixture and stir until smooth. Then add the flour.
And chocolate chips.
Put the batter in a greased 9×13 pan.
Bake for 30 minutes. (I will reduce time to 25 the next time I bake them.)
I could not take a photo that showed the amazing fudginess of these brownies, so I used a photo from an amazing baking website called Barbara Bakes. You really need to check out her site. She has recipes I can’t wait to try!