Recently Karol (aka Bluebell) an I went to see Jillian Michaels speak during her “Maximize Your Life” Tour. We have always been Jillian Michaels fans, but to say her talk was inspiring would be an understatement!! It was life changing!
The first hour she talked about food and fitness, and the second hour she talked about life. She was a life coach for an hour. She was so authentic and it felt like we were just sitting in a living room talking. She was funny, and she was informative while at the same time being genuine and “real”.
I was already on-board the fitness and “eating right” mind set, but Karol wasn’t so it was derailing me. Now we are both moving in the same direction, and it is amazing!! I have lost 4 pounds in just the first week!! Karol lost 4.6 pounds! We have changed the way we eat and are exercising 5 days every week!
Jillian doesn’t believe in deprivation, she believes in doing sweets the right way. With less refined sugar and healthier choices. So if you are “jonesing for chocolate” as Jillian puts it, these brownies are just the ticket! They are moist and fudgy and only 86 calories!!! They are little bites of heaven. If you have the calories available in your daily consumption you could cut them into 8 pieces instead of 16 and they would still be only 172 calories!!
JILLIAN MICHAELS CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIES
- Olive oil spray
- 2/3 cup mild honey, such as clover or orange blossom
- 1/3 cup natural, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8″ square pan with olive oil. Set aside.
- Place the honey in a large glass measuring cup. Microwave on high until the honey is runny and just bubbling, 45 to 60 seconds. Add the cocoa and stir with a fork until well combined. Let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, place the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, egg and vanilla. Whisk together until well blended. Add the honey and cocoa mixture, then whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and stir until no traces of flour remain. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the surface looks dry around the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, about 25 minutes. Do not overbake. Place the pan on a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing into 16 two-inch squares. Store the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 86.2 kcal Fat: 2.2 g Protein: 1.3 g Carbohydrates: 16.0 g Sodium: 63.6 mg
Source: Jillian Michaels
I like to eat one after dinner with 2 teaspoons of natural peanut butter on top. (My dad taught me the amazingness of peanut butter on top of brownies)! YUMMMMM!!!!
Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl:
Microwave the honey until it is runny:
Mix the cocoa into the honey:
Mix the applesauce, oil, egg and vanilla into a bowl and pour into the cocoa honey mixture. Cool to room temperature:
Once combined it looks like this:
Mix the wet and dry ingredients and stir until no flour shows:
Pour into an 8×8 pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray:
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes until the edges look dry.
Once cooled, cut into 16 pieces and enjoy!!!
Honestly, I am a chocoholic, and these satisfied my sweet tooth!!! (Which is pretty big)